Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Web 2.1

I am currently sitting in a main session at http://www.meshconference.com. It has been referenced as a gathering of web 2.0 enthusiasts and has a strong emphasis on social networking and the use of blogs. I got connected into the Mesh a couple of months ago as the founders were planning the details after stumbing into a much needed gap in Toronto. What has surprised me is the level of interest and momentum that seems to be gathering again with regard to start-up and ideas. As a serial enterepreneur I do not know whether to get nervous or excited. I dread another dot com yet I love ideas that can disturb the norm. What is obvious is how much content and new ideas there are flying around. As someone just pointed out here, everyone can put their crap out there. One of the main things that I have been reminded about over the last 2 days is that this new web is not just a place for us to express ourselved but a place where we can engage others of similar interest and create great conversations. Hopefully as we get more known and understood as contributors, the right people will find it easier to connect, share, create, and innovate. The Mesh conference has certainly steepened the hill for this great ball of fire to gather speed. I am grateful.

Mark Dowds